[thechat] Virtual Keyboard

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Thu Mar 21 16:03:00 CST 2002

At 01:59 AM 3/21/2002, Martin responded to Shirley:
> >Looks like their hope is to have this technology available for cell
>phones,
> >computer monitors, and more, not just a PDA.
>
>Of course, PDAs and mobile phones are very much destined to be increasingly
>intertwined...

Yes, I've been following that one, too (such as the Handspring Treo and
others). They're making progress, but so far not enough for me to jump in.
My own preference is for the Handspring, Palm size screen with the small
overall size of the tiny cell phones..... of course, that's not easy to
accomplish without folding the screen somehow and doing so seamlessly when
it's open. I may not see that dream realized.

> >I already use a portable keyboard (Targus Stowaway keyboard) with
> >my PDA that I love, but having this virtual keyboard would mean just
>taking
> >the tiny laser sensing device with me rather than the folded up keyboard.
>
>The one thing they haven't mentioned is that you really do rely on the
>physical feedback gained from pressing real keys which have real travel to
>tell your brain that your fingers are doing the right thing.

Exactly. I've thought about that, too, especially being a pianist all my
life. So touch is something I've quite sensitive to, so I know what you mean.

>I've used equivalent or similar devices (ie keyboards without real keys,
>just switches without any actual travel) a couple of times - the ZX81
>keyboard and a practise keyboard back in my piano playing days, and they're
>very, very difficult to use with any speed and accuracy.

I agree. What would be interesting is if they could actually develop
something would provide some sort of touch capabilities, even edges around
the keys. I think the feel of the keys being pushed acts as a confirmation,
too, so I'm not sure about any of this stuff. I leave it all open to
possibility even if there's nothing possible now to pull off something like
that.

>I would be very surprised to see many people who can type accurately at
>speed (or even fast enough to make it truely worthwhile) on one of these
>things.

I haven't had much success with the practice keyboards for piano that you
mention, either. Too much missing from what's truly needed.

At any rate, I see it as intriguing technology that's just beginning and
will hopefully _eventually_ be able to do far more to ensure better
accuracy. I find it all so interesting to watch, even if it's not something
I'd actually jump out and buy (like the phone/PDA coming together).

Warmly,
Shirley

Shirley E. Kaiser, M.A.,  SKDesigns  mailto:skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Website Design, Development      http://www.skdesigns.com/