[thechat] Speaking of ZoneAlarm

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Sat Mar 30 09:36:01 CST 2002

On Saturday, March 30, 2002, at 03:12  pm, Kath wrote:

> I've been hearing all sorts of good things about ZoneAlarm, so I've been
> thinking about getting it.  I have a question though.
>
> We have a network and the cable modem is connected to the server (NT)
> which
> has an electronic firewall in the router.  According to my husband this
> firewall makes us look invisible (something the cable company is not too
> happy with <g>).

Well, take a look at
https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
to see how true that is, although if your cable company is doing some
funky networking, or if you're connecting through a proxy server, it'll
get your IP wrong, so report on some machine in your ISP's systems,
not your own setup.

> My question is - will ZoneAlarm protect us further.

Potentially, yes. It'll extend the control down from the global network
level to individual PCs, which'll help your diagnostics in the event
of an attack or an infection. It has a very useful big red panic button
which
cuts off *all* network connections from that machine...

It won't make a *massive* difference - since adding a Linksys router to
my
home network between the cable modem and the real machines, I
haven't bothered with ZoneAlarm - but it should be a small incremental
increase in visibility of what's going on.

> Oh -
> 2 questions really - does it go on the server or the individual PC's.

On the PCs.

Cheers
Martin
   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,