[thechat] Windows problem: autocomplete cache can't be emptied

David Wagner dave at worlddomination.net
Wed Apr 3 11:52:02 CST 2002

Ben Henick wrote:
> In the morning (I'm in Portland) I'm going to be doing a quickie tech
> support moment for a prospect who can't clear their AutoComplete (Run
> dialog) by clearing their History.
>
> My immediate impression is that this is due to a corrupt registry entry.
>
> For that matter, where are the AutoComplete settings found in Windows
> (apart from the registry)?
>
> Does anybody have experience with this problem?

You're probably well past the problem point now, but I thought I'd toss
this in there as well: in my experience, problems of this sort are
almost always due to corruption in the user profiles/accounts. It seems
that every once in awhile Windows (especially 9x) will get confused
about the Current User settings vs. the settings of other users,
especially as related to the History and other IE-based functions of the
OS. (Don't you love the integration? Antitrust be damned, I want my
browser to corrupt my system!)

Solution: nuke and pave. There's less drastic remedies, I'm sure, but
they all take more time and effort.

Anyway, looks like stef provided all of the useful information already. :)

--

David Wagner
dave at worlddomination.net