[thechat] Astigmata

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Thu Apr 4 13:51:04 CST 2002

dave mclean wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I went for my first appointment ever with an Optometrist today.  Apparently
> I have astigmatism... (not to be confused with stigmata ;-)  My prescription
> is +025 +075 90... does anyone know what this means or can point me in the
> direction of a good vision web site that will tell me all about it?
>
> Does anyone else have astigmatism or Computer Vision Syndrome?  Any
> comments?

I've gone to seeclearly.com before.  They are an industry site (mostly
pro-laser surgery) but has pretty good info as well.

http://www.seeclearly.com/astig.cfm

I've got a slight astigmatism.  It's controlable with both glasses and
contacts.  I have to wear special contacts that are weighted on one side
so that they always have the same orientation on my eyeball.  Normal
contacts float around too much and can't correct astigmatism well.

I've had glasses since I was little.  I found out I needed them when I
was playing baseball and got my nose broken.  My glove was in the wrong
place because I couldn't actually see the ball.  That clued them in.

I've got pretty bad eyesight, but fortunately my eyesight stopped
getting worse when I stopped growing.  It's corrected to 20/15 so I see
pretty well when I've got my glasses on.

In contrast to your +0.25 +0.75, my perscription is -3.50 -3.75

Enjoy,
Judah