[thechat] Patti

David McCreath mccreath at ak.net
Fri Apr 5 19:27:00 CST 2002

Erika Meyer wrote:

> What poet gets $20 at the door?
> Patti.  What a beautiful scam you have.

She's not scamming. She's playing rock and roll. Yeah, she has the skill
to throw poetry/spoken-word into her act, but people show up just as
much to see "Rock and Roll Nigger" and "Because The Night" as they do to
see Patti ranting-mumbling between the "songs". But that's just my issue
with the word "scam". Patti's cool.

> Courtney Love says Patti Smith "saved her life."
> (I have to mention Courtney Love every time I respond to a McCreath post.
> It's just that way you see.)

Kissy-face, 'rika-suave. :x

> I saw Patti last summer.
> I found myself fascinated and bored by her...
>
> but very impressed at how she passes poetry off as rock n' roll.
> yeah, jealous too.

A friend of mine who loves Patti quite dearly (owns much of the vinyl,
most of the CDs, and dupes of the remastered stuff) saw her on the
RegisKelly show today (!) performing "When Doves Cry". He said:

"I was just not comfortable with Patti's perfomance, it embarrased me.
not the song, but just her performance. it started out good but by the
end was silly/schmaltzy. ... Weird reaction i know; it's my problem not
hers"

David