[thechat] Mac sound editing (for web, etc)

Andy Warwick mailing.lists at creed.co.uk
Fri Apr 5 19:40:01 CST 2002

| On 2002/04/05, Erika Meyer said:

> >| On 2002/04/04, Erika Meyer said:
> >
> >  > I'm just told Macromedia is ditching SoundEdit 16(?)
> >  >
> >  > Can someone help me?
> >  >
> >  > 1. if you have a Mac, and you want to edit sound (not movies)
> >  > with some sophistication + simple interface, what software do you
like
> >to use?
> >
> >Peak LE
> >
> >Just gone Mac OS X.
> >
> ><http://www.bias-inc.com/>
> >
> >HTH
> >
> >Andy W
>
> Okay, thanks... I have the Peak3 LE trial version..
>
> Dang, is this the best thing, really?  Sassin frassin Mac soft ware...
> Damn, if I wanted to feels STOOPID I'd be using WINDOZ!

:)

> okay, MP3 is grayed out.  wassup with that?  Can't convert to
> quicktime... the program is always crashing.

Odd. I can open MP3 fine; I'm using the full version, and I've got QT
Pro, so maybe that's something to do with it.

Or an odd flavor of MP3?

(Mine where converted with iTunes from CD tracks.)

I also find it fairly stable. I don't use it a lot, but I've never
managed to crash it once, even when editing pieces of audio 80 minutes
plus.

> Tool tips are not working, so who knows how to used the danged
toolbar....

I always turn tool tips off, so I never noticed they don't seem to work.

I use menus and quick-keys anyway, rather than the toolbar; lots of
little icons next to each other does my head in, and I always hit the
wrong one.

There should be online documentation and/or a donloadable PDF manual to
explain what the non-obvious icons actually mean.

> All I want to do right now is chop up an MP3 and that looks like it
> will take me hours to figure anything out.

I was up and running in 20 mins or so, but maybe that was just me :)

> I have never done sound editing before...

Which might explain it; I'd use similar programs before, so knew what I
was looking for in terms of tools and commands.

> but I've seen PC freeware
> demo'ed that looked way simpler than this. This is the best there is?
> Really?

YMMV

I get on okay with it. (Which doesn't help I know.)

> damn.
>
> Okay, so how do I get it to recognize & work in MP3 format?

That I don't know. Mine "just works".

Andy