[thechat] Frivolous lawsuit

Bob Davis bobd at members.evolt.org
Sat Apr 6 09:56:11 CST 2002

At 3:26 PM +0530 4/5/02, Madhu Menon wrote:
>Yet another lawsuit in USA, that litigious country.  :)

Hey - just because someone files, doesn't make it a real suit. IANAL
(tee-hee!),  but one has to remember that there's often a huge gap
between a real case with real merit and a bullshit, or, in lawyer
speak, "non-meritorious" case.

There's a whole process that happens before these things ever go to
trial, and there's no guarantee that you'll get your day in court.
This one will probably die early. Some judge will rule that it's
without merit.

>http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/04/04/aquatic_plants/index.html
>
>Dan, better be careful with your evolt.org mail filters, buddy. ;)

I've heard threats of suits in so many instances like this (I used to
be on a few car enthusiast lists - and there are some real dirtbags
in the diy/parts/acccessories business). Nobody ever does - because
the claims that they suck are true and there's a paper trail to back
it up.

Remember, IANAL. Really.

bob

--