[thechat] Lucas' inspiration for Star Wars?

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Thu Apr 11 11:29:01 CDT 2002

Yes... & Luke's family being massacred by the native sand people.
Classic western tripe. Yes, the bar.  Yes, the desolate wasteland
planet...

Westerns are of course American versions of hero's journey... the
lone cowboy  out on the range & always those wasteland kind of
undertones...

....the mythologized cowboy is kind of our version of the knight in
shining armor (hi ho silver!)

So if we roll it back a bit further:
http://www.legends.dm.net/kingarthur/percival.html

"Percival the Welshman (Percival le Galois),
raised by his widowed mother deep in the forest, has
never seen a knight, or a sword, or even a horse.  He
is ill-clad, unlettered, and entirely lacking in the
chivalric graces expected of a knight,
yet his innocence leads him to the Grail that has
eluded so many of Arthur's greatest knights."

Erika