[thechat] how to best search the archives?

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Thu Apr 11 11:48:00 CDT 2002

>Sorry for being a tad dumb but I can never find what I am looking for in
>the list archives.

me neither.

but what are you searching for, exactly?  To find out if a question
has already been asked?

To some extent, evolt people are responsible for making sure their
stuff shows up properly because evolt people are supposed to know how
to write a descriptive subject line.

So I guess since the sub line is important, I would try to anticipate
the sorts of keywords that would/should go in a subject line on the
subject I'm searching on.

Another thing you can try, as you get to know people, is to include
the author in your search.  As you get to know some people's area of
expertise, you could try an author plus the subject you're interested
in.

If I'm looking back for a very specific email, the best luck I have
is if I can remember an unusual phrase or something specific to that
post.

Or you can search for tips:
http://www.google.com/search?num=20&hl=en&safe=off&q=tip+author+%3D+erika+site%3Alists.evolt.org&btnG=Google+Search

So you can see how important it is for posters to create good subject
lines and how it doesn't hurt to use tip "attributes" subject (or
'type') and author.

Erika