[thechat] Lucas' inspiration for Star Wars?

s t e f notabene at members.evolt.org
Thu Apr 11 17:20:01 CDT 2002

[[ Joe Crawford -- 14:50 11/04/02 -0700 ]]
>All these commonalities reinforce the notion that Joseph Campbell may
>have been on to something.
>
>Maybe time to re-read "The Hero With a 1000 Faces" :-)
>
>Or maybe just rent "The Power of Myth" mega-series again.
>
>As to the Lucas stuff, I suppose we'd have to get inside Lucas' head in
>the 1970's to know if he actually had the myth in his head. :-\

You know what?

(yeah, i know you wanna know what I'm going to say next. There's nothing
like a good teaser)

<aside>I'm pretty certain that it doesn't change the fact that the first
series had a scenario, and Episode one none.</aside>

I'm _convinced_ that anyway, there is no originality, we as web designers
experience it every day (don't commit suicide yet, people). I like the
classical approach people had before this notion of originality appeared.
They would admire someone for his/her way of telling a known story, for
instance. Personal interpretation was the key.

So, yes, what's prominent to me is that whatever some smart bloke finds as
a "source" for Star Wars doens't prevent me from thinking that it was a
nice three-parter, and still fun to watch.

The rest is literature, as the saying goes :-)