[thechat] Site announcement soft of

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Sat Apr 13 01:41:01 CDT 2002

--
Joel,

At 03:57 PM 4/10/2002, you typed:
>I've been working on a music blog, and intending to get the look and feel
>done before I told anyone about it. That might take some time, so I've
>decided to bare my soul and share it with y'all.
>
>http://egbdf.info <http://egbdf.info>

Commenting solely on the content, I can't say enough good things about what
you've been writing, Joel. You're a fabulous writer about music, and you
bring it all to life so well. I'm thrilled to see you doing this, and I'll
definitely be looking forward to reading every entry.

[Sidenote:
Not that I have time right now, but you've got me thinking about finally
putting something together myself for my music interests, too.... something
I've thought about for so long but just haven't done. People are always
asking me about music recommendations, what I think about so-and-so.... ]

>I'm interested in anything you have to say about it, but especially if
>anything appears broken. It's a work in progress, so it's farther from
>perfection than might be desired.

How are your archives going to develop? For the moment having a list like
you have is fine, but adding more on you'll have quite a sea of titles. Any
thoughts about organizing them somehow, such as by genre? Or is this some
way that might work? At the minimum I'd suggest some kind of division by
date or at least a double-space maybe every week or two, depending on how
many you have each week.

>Anyone know if music clips in the context of a review are acceptable use
>under US copyright law, as I believe textual excerpts are in a book review?
>
>joel

Well, from what I've seen, it's a very different deal and you must ask
permission no matter what, even for just a short clip. That's what I've
seen, though, and I haven't checked the copyright law. You can print a few
phrases of the music score itself like text excerpts, but companies have
been really sticky about using sound clips.....

If you have out anything definitive, though, let me know. You can check
somewhere like ASCAP's site, for example.

Warmly,
Shirley

Shirley E. Kaiser, M.A.,  SKDesigns  mailto:skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Website Design, Development      http://www.skdesigns.com/