[thechat] Site announcement sort of

Joel Canfield Joel at spinhead.com
Sat Apr 13 02:53:00 CDT 2002

[I wonder; if I keep changing 'soft' to 'sort' in the subject line, do you
think it will eventually stop bugging me that I mistyped it?]

>Not that I have time right now, but you've got me thinking
>about finally putting something together myself for my music
>interests, too.... something I've thought about for so long
>but just haven't done. People are always asking me about music
>recommendations, what I think about so-and-so.... ]

That really sounds good. I like reading about music as much as I like
writing about it. I hope you can make the time for it; it's good therapy ;)

[ . . . ]

>How are your archives going to develop? For the moment having
>a list like you have is fine, but adding more on you'll have
>quite a sea of titles. Any thoughts about organizing them
>somehow, such as by genre? Or is this some way that might
>work? At the minimum I'd suggest some kind of division by date
>or at least a double-space maybe every week or two, depending
>on how many you have each week.

I'm a database geek, remember? Once it's worthwhile, you'll be able to
choose how it's sorted and grouped - genre, date, musical era, performer's
shoe size (okay, maybe not) but it's so easy to put together the various
parameters and let the visitor choose the presentation. Once it's in the
database, it's a tiny change to re-sort.

In all honesty, though, I hadn't given it a moment's thought until you
mentioned it! Thanks for the excellent suggestions. As you know, I sort of
just jumped into this without a clear plan, it being more or less a copy of
shellshockrome.com with different content. I need to pause long enough to
make a plan. Someone said, if you don't know where you're going, you
probably won't get there, and won't know it if you do.

>>Anyone know if music clips in the context of a review are acceptable
>>use under US copyright law, as I believe textual excerpts are
>in a book
>>review?
>>
>>joel
>
>Well, from what I've seen, it's a very different deal and you
>must ask permission no matter what, even for just a short
>clip. That's what I've seen, though, and I haven't checked the
>copyright law. You can print a few phrases of the music score
>itself like text excerpts, but companies have been really
>sticky about using sound clips.....

This asking permission stuff works wonders. I've posted reviews of some
independent groups, and they've been completely cooperative about linking,
use of their graphics, pretty much whatever I wanted to use to promote their
marvelous music.

>If you have out anything definitive, though, let me know. You
>can check somewhere like ASCAP's site, for example.

Great idea; hadn't thunk o' that.

joel