[thechat] Re: And now pianos, too (was RE: Geetars (was: RE: [thechat] Big stup id plea... Kenya))

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Fri May 10 16:34:01 CDT 2002

At 01:47 PM 5/10/2002, you typed:
>RE: my ex-husband's D18"
> >
> > Here's a new one at the C.F. Martin site for just over
> > $2,000:
><http://www.mguitar.com/MartinGuitar/StandardOutput.asp?RECORDID=89>
> >
> > What's the value on these things? If they're older like this and they've
>aged wonderfully I know that > many instruments can go up in value. It also
>depends on the market.
>
>Ah, as of the 70s, I think, the quality began to diminish somewhat, and
>while they're still a great guitar, the older ones are much sought after
>because they're just better.

After looking at these, I see there are a bunch of D18 models and the
prices go from the above to adding a zero or two onto the end (agh!), so
I'm going to have to investigate and see what he really has..... I'm
curious now.

It's been too long since I even looked at it (we split up over 10 years ago
now), so I'm not sure if I'd recognize the exact model from a photo or not.

> > I know when I bought my grand piano in 1983 the market went flat after
>that, so even in the mid-90s it > was still just worth what I'd paid for it
>(not cheap, though!) rather than increasing in value as they > had prior to
>that. That was in my favor for my divorce, so I didn't mind at the time.
> > :-) However, I haven't even checked on its value now.
>
>Mason & Hamlin, right? I've looked at their prices. Keep those insurance
>docs up to date on that one :)

<chuckle> You know it. My piano is like another child to me. It's also
solid mahogany built in the 1920s, with a mahogany finish (it's not the
basic black) and brass trim, so to me it's especially beautiful to look at,
in addition to being the most amazing piano I've ever played in both its
tone and the action (the action is how the notes respond, their sensitivity
to touch with volume, etc.). I'm grateful to have it.

I don't know how it could ever be replaced unless someone else happened to
part with one just like it, but there aren't many of them like that around
in perfect condition like mine, either. I was lucky -- I bought it from an
older lady who'd gotten it as a child, played it all her life, was a
wonderful musician, got arthritis and couldn't play it anymore. She
wouldn't sell it to just anyone and interviewed me first before she'd even
let me see it. To her it was like I was adopting her baby, and I totally
understand her sentiment.

Here's a photo online that's pretty close to how mine looks. It's the same
Model A artist grand and also mahogany:
<http://www.faustharrisonpianos.com/Model_A.jpg>
(and I have the special artist's bench for it, too. After years of sitting
on a hard, wood piano bench, I figured I deserved something more comfortable!)

> > Quit distracting me with all this fun music stuff! <grin> Well, don't, but
>I've got a deadline to
> > meet. :-) More after the workday is over....

And I mean it this time! <big grin>

>Did I tell you about James Taylor's upcoming concert with the Boston
>Symphony Orchestra on July 17? Worth a trip to Boston, right?

Oh, my God.....  My biggest client is in Boston. Hmmm.... do I smell a
business trip coming on around July 17?! <grin>

>Hope you weren't, like, distracted or anything.

Knock it off, Joel!! I've gotta work!!!! :-)

Seriously, though, I do need to work. And I've also gotta switch to mom
mode in less than an hour to pick up my son.....

I won't check my thechat folder until after dinner (I'm repeating that 20
times to myself right now).

Fun stuff....

Warmly,
Shirley