[thechat] lao-zi

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Sat May 11 16:54:01 CDT 2002

rudy wrote:
> Lao-zi observed that those standing on tiptoe are not steady,
...unless they are ballet dancers...
>those
> straining their strides cannot keep up,
...unless they are track atheletes...
>those displaying themselves do not
> illuminate,
...unless they are artists...
>those justifying themselves are not distinguished,
...unless they are logicians...
>those making
> claims are not given credit, and those seeking glory are not leaders.
> Frivolous and hasty leaders lose their foundation and self-mastery. The wise
> are good at helping people so that no one is rejected and good at saving
> things so that nothing is wasted. Thus the good can teach the bad, who are
> the lessons for the good.

All of which goes to show why I'm a complete relativist.  All absolutes
can only exist within your own frame of reference (see?  I just made
one) and that is the only frame that matters.  All adjectives are False
but many of them may be made true for you.  The key is to decide what
works for you and then commit.

Enough Zen for me today, I'm off to enjoy the first 70 degree
(Farenheight) day of the year.  Picknick Time!

Judah