[thechat] More stuff I stole from Wired magazine

Dean Mah dmah at shaw.ca
Tue May 14 16:25:00 CDT 2002

Draw by repetition happens more frequently during speed/blitz games.
They also happen when you or your opponent is unwilling to propose a
draw but you both want one.

You can also draw a game if after a certain number of moves a pawn has
not advanced or a capture has not taken place.  The number of moves
used to be 50 but FIDE has changed the number of moves based on the
pieces on the board.  For instance, I think if it is K+N+B vs. K, FIDE
has extended the number of moves to 75.

Dean

(Who played a lot of chess in high school (rep'ed Alberta in the
nationals in Gr11) and university but hasn't played a tournament in a
long while other than on FICS.)