[thechat] bytes, more bytes, and yet more bytes (was: Zope on a Rope etc.)

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Fri May 17 13:14:00 CDT 2002

At 10:32 PM 5/17/2002, Simon wrote:

> >1 yottabyte = 1024 zettabytes
> >1 zettabyte = 1024 exabytes
> >1 exabyte = 1024 petabytes
> >1 petabyte = 1024 terabytes
> >1 terabyte = 1024 gigabytes
>
>I think these words are chosen to sound silly on purpose. The size of the
>thing being expressed is stupidly big, so it needs a stupid sounding word
>to accurately describe it.

Heck, if someone can think of something as silly-sounding as "yottabyte",
I'm going to make up my own names. So...

1 wantabigbyte = 1024 yottabytes
1 biteaintbyte = 1024 wantabigbytes
1 meyoucanbite = 1024 biteaintbytes
1 sooldicantbyte = 1024 meyoucanbite
1 notyetgazillionbyte = 1024 sooldicantbytes
1 mydogwillbyte = 1024 notyetgazillionbytes
1 fingercountthesebyte = 1024 mydogwillbytes
1 weknowaardvarkdoesbyte = 1024 fingercountthesebytes
1 bigmaciwannabyte = 1024 weknowaardvarkdoesbytes
1 areyounutsbyte = 1024 bigmaciwannabytes
1 getalifedudebyte = 1024 areyounutsbytes

Tee hee.

Can you tell I'm drunk? No, I'm not really. It's just late and I feel silly. :p

Madhu