[thechat] Virus Alert! Is it Authentic...?

Syed Zeeshan Haider szh at hotpop.com
Mon May 20 14:21:01 CDT 2002

Hello Everybody,
Somebody has sent me following message under the subject "Virus Alert":

<message>
I found the little bear in my machine because of that
I am sending this message in order for you to find it
in your machine. The procedure is very simple: The
objective of this e-mail is to warn all Hotmail users
about a new virus that is spreading by MSN Messenger.
The name of this virus is jdbgmgr.exe and it is sent
automatically by the Messenger and by the address book
too. The virus is not detected by McAfee or Norton and
it stays quiet for 14 days before damaging the system.
The virus can be cleaned before it deletes the files
from your system. In order to eliminate it, it is just
necessary to do the following steps: 1. Go to Start,
click "Search" 2.- In the "Files or Folders option"
write the name jdbgmgr.exe 3.- Be sure that you are
searching in the drive "C" 4.- Click "find now" 5.- If
the virus is there (it has a little bear-like icon
with the name of jdbgmgr.exe DO NOT OPEN IT FOR ANY
REASON 6.- Right click and delete it (it will go to
the Recycle bin) 7.- Go to the recycle bin and delete
it or empty the recycle bin. IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS IN
ALL OF YOUR SYSTEMS SEND THIS MESSAGE TO ALL OF YOUR
CONTACTS LOCATED IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK BEFORE IT CAN
CAUSE ANY DAMAGE.
</message>

Is this message authentic?
I have followed the procedure and have found the file as described in
the message. It is in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM. I have not deleted it.

Your expert advice is needed here very much.

Please note that it is in my machine from January 01, 2001. Some days
ago W32.Klez.gen at mm virus was detected and deleted on my machine by my
AV. My AV did not took any action against this virus until live update.
After update, my AV permanently deleted three virus infected files
because it considered them un-repairable.
Thank you,
Syed Zeeshan Haider.
http://syedzeeshanhaider.faithweb.com/