[thechat] Good Driving Songs

cspruck at mindspring.com cspruck at mindspring.com
Tue May 21 13:36:00 CDT 2002

On Tue, 21 May 2002 13:17:14 -0500 Ben Dyer <ben_dyer at imaginuity.com> wrote:

So, I'm looking for the next batch of music, so, I'm curious, what do you
all like to listen to on the road?  What songs out there make you enjoy
driving (or make you just mash the accelerator)?

Ben,

RUN, don't walk, to your MP3 source/record store (no really!) and pick up the album Trace by the group Son Volt. It's a smidge on the country side, but is definitely great rock. It's really terrific "long lonely highway" kinda music and has sort of an Americana feel to it. Hard to explain, but IMO, well worth a listen - one of my fave albums of all time. The record company site for them is totally worthless, but I googled and got http://www.gumbopages.com/son-volt.html. Unfortunately, most other sites 404. Just found samples on CDNOW - http://cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=485963664/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=SON+VOLT/itemid=324621. Hard to pick favorites, but tracks 1, 2, 6, 7, and 9 have been pretty significant to me in my travels.

I'd love to hear what you think (or anyone else thinks)of them if you give them a try.

Chris