[thechat] Ireland?

Andrew Shiel ashiel at sportsinteraction.com
Tue May 28 11:49:07 CDT 2002

At 11:35 28/05/2002 -0500, Miriam Frost wrote:
>Hello!
>Any Irish evolters around these parts, or evolters who have traveled there?

   Nicely timed, I was just heading out the door. I'm in Dublin, working in
Dun Laoghaire and working in Harold's Cross.

>Himself and myself are traveling there next month, and I'm in a bit of a
>panic as I try to plan the itinerary. So much to see, so little time! We'll
>be in Dublin for Bloomsday. What's that like?

   Almost un-noticable unless you're on the route of Bloom's Odyssey. Then
it's fun. :)

>(We're on a cram course of
>reading "Ulysses.")

   That can be damaging to mind and body, y'know.

>Naturally, we're interested in a pilgrimage to
>Guinness...

   Well worth it these days, I gather. They have a tower in the hopstore
from which you can see most of if not all of the city.

>We're also looking to travel about the country as much as we
>can. Waterford seems in order :-)... of course I'd love to see everything
>but we're only there about 10 days (stupid short Ami vacations!).

   You can do a lot in 10 days as long as you prevent the Irish folks you
meet from getting you too drunk. You'll lose time in hangovers that way. Of
course, you'll ignore that advice when meeting me, right?

>Is hurling still going on there? I'd *love* to see a real Irish match* and
>action!

   Oh, most definitely. I'll see if I can track down a match for you, a
minor one should be easy enough to find.

>What else should be seen, and what might be missed?

   I don't know much about the attractions in Dublin - I live here, so I
don't look at them. :) But the English Market in Cork, if you're down
there, is very nice. And Newgrange, in Meath. And in Dublin you could do
worse than set aside a day to poke around the shopping areas. I'll try and
think of more...

>Any warnings or
>advice to the savvy travelers?

   Don't get hoaxed into buying Irish punts at exorbitant prices - the
euro's only been here a few months, and already some of the con men are
selling old Irish five punt notes for 50 euros.

>Anyone up for a Dublin Beervolt?

   Aye! Contact me at gothwalk at softhome.net for further discussions, or 087
6165759 (mobile) when you're in the country.

   Drew.

A Day In The Life of Drew: http://gothwalk.starflung.com/blog/