[thechat] Your Opinion is Required

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Thu May 30 13:21:01 CDT 2002

On 30 May 2002 at 10:24, isaac posted a message which said:

> "The US Defence Intelligence Agency estimates up to 12 million people
> would be killed in a nuclear war between India and Pakistan."
> The report "...presumes both India and Pakistan successfully use most of
> the weapons in their nuclear arsenals and target populated areas."

> How could they not kill more than 12m?

There were 140,000 people killed by "Little Boy" and 352,000 survivors.
And that was a *dirty* bomb, rather than the "clean" weapons of today.

People seem to think that nuclear weapons are different somehow. They
*do* have a greater power-to-weight ratio, but in the end, you're just
as dead from a chemical bomb as from a nuclear one.

> The increase in military spending frustrates me. If people stopped
> giving others reasons to attack them...

That's an interesting idea. What reason did I give Klez? I'm getting 20
attacks a day in my mail.

deke

--
  Do gravediggers qualify for "cost of living" raises?