[thechat] np: Robin Trower - Too Rolling Stoned

rudy rudy937 at rogers.com
Tue Jun 4 07:31:01 CDT 2002

> So rudomiser, do you tune your low 'E' down to a 'D' ?

sorry, joel, but i don't play any instrument

had a guitar at age 14 or 15, didn't devote enough time to learn it well

i can strum a few chords, that's it

i have a deep appreciation for music, though, and i'll tell you why...

question:  what is the generally accepted term for that tingle you get
running up and down your spine (mine sort of spreads out from there into my
arms and legs too) when you hear a particular bit of music?  it is fast,
taking two seconds, tops, to spread throughout the body, and i am totally
guessing (from hollywood's depictions) that it must be similar to a heroin
rush

this phenom struck me at an early age, well before the age of 4

felt it on several songs prior to the "british invasion" (anybody who
doesn't know what the british invasion is, never mind -- you had to have
been there) -- e.g. the four seasons, some beach boys...

but i remember it vividly on "she loves you, YEAH" -- some kind of augmented
6th, absolutely outrageously experimental for pop music, and wildly
successful

(the beatles were okay, i guess, but i was always more of a rolling stones
fan -- still got their first album, bought with my paper route money, now
scratched to shit)

i frequently still get this "thrill" or whatever it's called when i tarry on
muchmusic (canada's mtv knockoff), most recently on pink's "don't let me get
me"

i don't listen to music much anymore, because (a) my ears are shot, and (b)
most of it is dreck and i don't have time to chase down the good stuff...
but that's another story

"angel" by aerosmith

dvorak's symphony #1 (it's unfailing, hits me every time, like an orgasm)

it's funny, because it's never the melody, that's for sure, it's just a
chord change or something

also, it usually occurs right when i start listening to music, not after
listening for a while

brain chemistry is a funny thing, innit?

rudy