[thechat] Coming Up To Speed on Futbol

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Wed Jun 5 15:26:00 CDT 2002

On Wednesday, June 5, 2002, at 08:02  pm, Quackamoe wrote:

> What's an "own goal"?

I (accidentally I hope) score a goal for the opposition by knocking the
ball into my team's net.

If I'm lucky, I'll get booed. If I'm not, I'll get shot.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/worldcup/features/chiles_memories/escobar_murder.
shtml

(yes, that is exceptional)

> Bigger question, any
> suggestions for a crash course on the game and the
> World Cup in general? How'd the teams get there?

By qualifying from your local continental football association.

In Europe, the association is UEFA, and there were 9 groups of five or 6
countries. The group winners qualified for the finals, and the runners
up played off for a place.

Here's England's group:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldcup2002/bsp/statistics/qualifying/europe_9_tables.
stm
and here's Scotland's
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldcup2002/bsp/statistics/qualifying/europe_6_tables.
stm

In North & Central America, it's a bit more complex - Costa Rica,
Jamaica, Mexico and the US play against countries who have already
completed a competitive round:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldcup2002/bsp/statistics/qualifying/nca_E_results.
stm

The host nation gets a place automatically btw.

> How
> many from each group advance to round 2?

Again, it's a group tournament for Round 1 - there are 8 groups of 4
teams. Teams finishing 1st and second qualify for the next round, and
it's a knockout from then on. IIRC, the top team from each group plays a
second place team.

Here's England's group:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldcup2002/bsp/statistics/group_f/tables.stm
And Ireland's:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldcup2002/bsp/statistics/group_e/tables.stm
And the USA's:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldcup2002/bsp/statistics/group_d/tables.stm

Note the rules for deciding the order of teams - you get good at
planning scenarios along the lines of "If we beat team A 2-1, and team B
beats team C 3-2 then we draw with B not less than 2 all, then we'll
qualify"

Cheers
Martin
   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,