[thechat] Praise Cliff, it's Monday

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Wed Jun 12 11:19:00 CDT 2002

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Please respond to thechat at lists.evolt.org

Sent by:    thechat-admin at lists.evolt.org

To:    thechat at lists.evolt.org
cc:

Subject:    [thechat] Re: thechat digest, Vol 1 #509 - 14 msgs

1 file attached - PLEASE SCAN FOR VIRUSES BEFORE USE

>At 06:04 PM 6/12/2002, thechat-request at lists.evolt.org wrote:
>>*To* Monday, although there's an urban myth going about that the people
in
>>charge here called the branding people on Friday to ask "Where are you
with
>>the new name?" To which came the reply "Ummmmm.... probably Monday"

>Oh my god! I can't believe this. I laughed for a full three minutes when I
>heard this.

>Hey Martin, next time they want to blow $5 million, could you tell them
>I'll be happy to help out at 20% of the cost? :P

*cough*$75m*cough*
although only a small percentage of that went to Wolffs

>I'm wondering whether I should blog this so that my site becomes #1 for
>"PWC idiots" (no offence intended.) It's already #1 for "Gartner idiots"
>and "KPMG idiots". :P

I don't think we're even in the same league of stupidity as KPMG...

I think it *will* all settle down, with another brief burst when we start
using it.

And I think a lot will change once the whole meaning of the brand starts
filling out behind the name.

I'm sure there were people who thought that naming a computer company after
a fruit, a rock music company after the state which most people in the
industry aspire to escape, and a telcoms company after a colour which has
*significant* negative connotations in certain parts of its market would be
dumb too, yet Apple, Virgin and Orange aren't related to the literal
meaning of their names.

>PS: The bloody telegraph.co.uk site requires a login to even *search* the
>site. How dumb are they?

For their core market? Not as dumb as it would be for (say) cnn.com.
Cheers
Martin

behalf of PricewaterhouseCoopers.

telecommunications systems.