[thechat] World Cup favourites

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Wed Jun 19 05:44:00 CDT 2002

---- Original Message ----
From: "Jonathon Isaac Swiderski" <jswiders at members.evolt.org>
To: <thechat at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 10:07 PM
Subject: Re: [thechat] World Cup favourites

> [snip]
>
> Who are the 'Old Firm' that they refer to several times?  Is this the
> two Glasgow
> teams, or more besides?  I couldn't find this in the story. . .

Yes, the Old Firm is the local term for the Derby teams in Glasgow.

The only problem with Celtic and Rangers is the sectarianism associated with
the clashes - Celtic has always traditionally been a Catholic team, Rangers
a Protestant team.

When Mo Johnston, who is a Catholic and played for Celtic from 1984 to 1987,
signed with Rangers in 1989, a lot of Rangers fans boycotted the team - some
season ticket holders went as far as ripping up or burning their tickets to
show their protest.  Mo still gets "Judas" shouted at him to this day!

I've heard that the sectarian chants and slurs have lessened in recent
years, with Celtic fans being especially hard on people who try and start
anything in their part of the stadium, but Rangers "fans" are apparently
still quite reluctant to separate their religion from their football.  It
makes walking round Ibrox with a Celtic top on quite a dangerous prospect
indeed :(

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________  "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \  for Sega." -- Brodie, 'Mallrats'