[thechat] Insultingly Stupid Movie Physics

Daniel Frey danieljohnfrey at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 22 13:42:01 CDT 2002

>* We constantly see images of people being "blown away" when shot -
being >propelled backwards with great force, maybe even tumbling out a
20-story >window just for effect. But - if the bullet/s really carried
that much >force, wouldn't the *shooter* also be propelled backwards to
a similar >degree?? (equal and opposite reaction and all that...)

They do mention something about this, in regards to a shotgun blast
taken to the chest and the resulting crash through a plate-glass window.
You're right on with your assumption, by the way.

>* Finally, something that's bugged me for almost 25 years... wouldn't
the >Bandit's TransAm (or even Bo Duke's General Lee) have been MANGLED
beyond >usefulness after making even one jump?

If you look closely, the axles of the General Lee break after pretty
much every jump.  They had a fleet of them, a slew of mechanics and a
steady supply of axles...