[thechat] Brutality, Cruelity and Lies

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Tue Jun 25 12:25:01 CDT 2002

At 10:09 PM 6/25/2002, Joe Crawford wrote:
>Man is an animal, and only through questing forward to be civilized can
>he overcome this nature.
>
>War is decidedly uncivilized.

Well put, Joe.

I don't believe in a god, but I also know that *no* mainstream religion
advocates violence, murder, rape, torture, or hatred. If only people
actually followed *all* the principles of their religion...

So it's nice to know that Islam doesn't advocate mass murder, but Osama Bin
Laden does it anyway in the name of his religion. So do those suicide
bombers in Israel. Christianity doesn't say "molest young boys", but some
Catholic priests are doing it. Christians and Muslims fought the Crusades,
all in the name of their respective religions. Hinduism doesn't preach
violence either, but that didn't stop a bunch of religious fanatics from
burning an Australian missionary and his son here in India.

It's how people interpret religion. In Saudi Arabia, even foreigners have
to abstain from eating and drinking during the holy month of Ramadan. So
much for tolerance. And don't even get me started on the plight of women in
that country, despite the Quran's assurance that women are no less than men.

Yeah, that's the sad truth of the real world.

And no, I really don't want to discuss religion on this list. I don't come
here for ideological debates. I consider this place ideal for casual
interaction and a few laughs, which is why I don't discuss terrorism in
India, the bombing of Afghanistan, the IRA, and the like.

But I don't want to be called a "coward" for not responding. Just because I
don't voice an opinion doesn't mean I don't have one. Insulting people is
rarely conducive to stimulating discussion. No Joe, I'm not referring to
you. :)

Regards,

Madhu