[thechat] Too much time on the internet (was SZH)

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Tue Jun 25 15:27:01 CDT 2002

At 01:23 AM 6/26/2002, Syed Zeeshan Haider wrote:

>But who will decide, which information must be searched on internet and which
>must be asked from TheChat people.

Well, a good way to gauge that would be to see how many people respond or
how many people politely suggest you use Google.

Google can find a lot of things for you. If you're looking for factual data
like what the lyrics of Britney Spears' song 'Overprotected' are, don't ask
here. Search engines find this info really well. Or try a natural language
search engine like AskJeeves (www.ask.com)

In other words, don't ask here unless you've spent at least 10-20 minutes
searching the Net. Many people here have previously hinted that you should
use a search engine for certain things (when they say "I found this site by
searching on Google for [xyz]", that's a pretty strong hint.)

If your questions are more subjective such as "Is Las Vegas a good place to
visit for a holiday?", then you may try asking here. In such cases, a
search engine cannot offer you the benefit of personal experiences that
this list might be able to.

But like my fellow admin Garrett has pointed out, we're not a "Google
Answers" service. Don't bombard the list with questions. :)

Hope that helped.

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon