[thechat] What?? WHAT?????

Plunkett, Matt MPlunkett at MSA.com
Wed Jun 26 14:15:00 CDT 2002

w00t, I love it when the courts reign in that religious crap.  Sounds like
they didn't declare the whole pledge unconstitutional, just the one inserted
line.

	-----Original Message-----
	From:	Janet Green [SMTP:JGreen at desmoinesmetro.com]
	Sent:	Wednesday, June 26, 2002 3:11 PM
	To:	thechat at lists.evolt.org
	Subject:	[thechat] What?? WHAT?????

	Plucked just now from a local tv news website:

	SAN FRANCISCO -- A federal appeals court in San Francisco has
declared the Pledge of Allegiance unconstitutional.

	The court finds that it's an endorsement of religion -- and cannot
be recited in schools.

	The Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals overturned a 1954 act of
Congress that inserted the phrase "under God" after the words "one nation"
in the pledge.

	The court says the phrase violates the separation of church and
state.

	A judge wrote that a statement that we are one nation "under God" is
no different than saying we are a nation "under Jesus" or "under Vishnu" --
or a nation "under no God."

	He says none of these statements can be neutral with respect to
religion.
	Copyright 2002 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This
material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.