[thechat] What?? WHAT?????

Miriam Frost miriam at members.evolt.org
Wed Jun 26 14:40:01 CDT 2002

> schoolkids have been reciting the pledge
> for all these years and suddenly it's an issue.

It's always been there; this is the first time someone got far enough with a
big enough stink. When I think of all the trouble I got into for being a
refusenik in high school... And they'd come at me with "well, it's a
'generic' god - it can mean different things to different people."  "So...
being an athiest, would I then be pledging 'one nation under a load of crap
that makes some people happy and kills others, indivisible...'"  Oh, I was
on detention for two weeks for that one.

> this will cost us a fortune when we go
> to remint all our official money, which clearly states,
> In God We Trust
Hopefully they'll just quietly phase it out. ;-)

> I guess it's a sign of the nation trying to become more aware.
and that's not a bad thing :-)

Janet, you're in DesMoines? Cool! I grew up 10 years in Jesup (eensy town 20
mi. east of Waterloo) and it was great. I still miss the barbecued pork
sandwiches!

best,
Miriam