[thechat] What?? WHAT?????

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Thu Jun 27 13:05:01 CDT 2002

aardvark wrote:
>(back then, though,
> challenging it was tantamount to political suicide -- only commies
> didn't believe in god)...

As opposed to now when fighting it is tantamount to political suicide
and only terrorist don't believe in god...

Senate voted 99-0 yesterday on a resolution affirming the place of
"under God" in the Pledge.  I'm calling my senators today and bitching
them out.  And I'm going to try and get to my representative before the
House vote.

> but it is an oft-cited example of how church isn't always as
> separate from state as many would like...

 From a comment on a metafilter thread:

[Robert I. Sherman, American Atheist magazine]: What will you do to win
the votes of the Americans who are Atheists?

[George Bush, Sr]: I guess I'm pretty weak in the Atheist community.
Faith in god is important to me.

Sherman: Surely you recognize the equal citizenship and patriotism of
Americans who are Atheists?

Bush: No, I don't know that Atheists should be considered as citizens,
nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.

--August 27, 1987

I *really* *really* hate my government right now.  As opposed to
normally, when I just am kind of cynical and bitter about my government.

Judah