Bezerklies ( was: Re: [thechat] What?? WHAT?????)

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Thu Jun 27 13:58:01 CDT 2002

Madhu Menon wrote:
> At 11:28 PM 6/27/2002, Erika Meyer wrote:
>
>>> And then is Portland the "Berkeley of Oregon?"
>>

>> oops, I forgot about Eugene.
>

> During some of my time wasting surfing sessions, I was doing some pointless
> research into the cost of living in different US cities. At rent.com I was
> shocked to see a 1-bedroom apartment (we call 'em "flats") going for $1500,
> while one in Portland, Oregon, was around $600-$750. What a bloody
> difference! And in Manhattan, it's around $2500.

There are almost no 1-bedroom apartments going for $1500 a month in
Eugene.  There are only 3 buildings where that might even be the case,
so I think that rent.com is giving you a bad indication for what is
"average" in Eugene.  I, for instance, live in a 4 bedroom house about 8
blocks from the University campus in a very nice neighborhood.  Low
turnover, nice mix of owner occupied and rentals, fairly quiet street
within walking distance to most things I need.  And my house rents for
$850 per month.  Admittedly, I got a very, very good deal.  Most houses
like mine would go for around $1000 to $1200 a month.  A good general
figure for Eugene is $300-$350 per room per month for a 2 bedroom or
larger house in a nice part of town.  I've seen 3 bedroom houses list
for over $2000 per month, but those are gorgeous places with hot tubs
and up on the hill and such.

Most of the houses in my neighborhood are selling for $180,000 to
$250,000 for a 3 bedroom house.  And the average salary for qualified
workers is only around $40,000.  It can be expensive. And there are very
few jobs.  But it is a nice place to live.

Judah