[thechat] More Pledge news

Plunkett, Matt MPlunkett at MSA.com
Fri Jun 28 10:55:00 CDT 2002

Excellent phrasing!  No, I'm not being sarcastic...

I think Rudy's blunt language illustrates nicely how you can characterize
the problems with the pledge without being too PC.  I don't really have time
to fully respond to that earlier post that argued that PC-ness was somehow
responsible for the degradation of our language...but I don't think you can
dismiss the judges's ruling out of hand as being some "PC bullshit".  Being
precise about language and sensitive to the fact that our gov't is NOT
supposed to be a Christian institution is important.  I doubt everyone would
be happy if we changed the pledge to include "one nation under the Goddess"
or something to acknowledge the fact that there are some Wiccans in the US.