[thechat] More Pledge news

Janet Green JGreen at desmoinesmetro.com
Fri Jun 28 12:33:01 CDT 2002

>>>It's convenient to argue that people should just accept it when it's your values that are being upheld as superior to others.<<<

It sure is, especially when I frequently end up being the one to shrug my shoulders over *other* issues and say, I didn't get my way on that one. Everyone picks their battles, and clearly this was someone's battle. (It's a little bit my battle too, as I decided to comment publicly on it rather than shrug it off.) I do respect that, truly, and to be honest, where I come down on this issue is that I think it would be ok to take the phrase "under God" OUT of the Pledge altogether, and then allow it to be said in schools. But I hate to be bullied as much as the next person, and that's how this whole thing is feeling to me - both sides trying to bully the other - so maybe I'm still in the "emotional reaction" phase. I'm not saying that makes my arguments any less valid - but, I'm itching for some compromise and intelligent arguing.

And by the way, for those reading Matt's snips from my blog, be sure you read the WHOLE item in the blog to get the full context of the phrase "the kids we aren't inviting to the party" - it's not a flippant comment about excluding people, it refers to something specific I talked about in the article.