[thechat] Most spoken languages in the world

Bob Davis bobd at members.evolt.org
Thu Jul 4 12:29:01 CDT 2002

At 12:02 PM -0400 7/4/02, Daniel Frey wrote:
>"With anywhere from 350 to 400 million speakers, many lists have Spanish
>surpassing English, and by most standards, that is right. The official
>language in just over 20 nations including Andorra, Belize, Colombia,
>Cuba, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Spain, U.S., and Venezuela, Spanish
>weighs in at numero cuatro."
>
>Wait, what?  Spanish is the official language of the U.S.?

I think there might be one or two states (AZ maybe?) that have
Spanish listed as an official language. I don't think there is an
official language of the U.S. - though IIRC, there have been many
movements to have one (English). As a practical matter, English is
what we speak. As a political matter, it has proven helpful to
certain politicians to promote Spanish as an official language.

bob

--

bob davis
bob at bobdavis.org