[thechat] Advice needed for travelling from UK to US

Andy Warwick mailing.lists at creed.co.uk
Fri Jul 5 05:56:00 CDT 2002

Given the international flavour (flavor) to this list, I was wondering if
someone could give me some advice on travelling between the UK and US?

My lodger is planning to fly over to the US in August with Delta Airlines
(booked via Cheaptickets.com) and was wondering what he'll need in the way of
paperwork/VISAs etc. He's flying Gatwick to Atlanta to Milwaukee.

He's in the process of renewing his passport, which expired in 1995, and already
has an American VISA in that, but isn't sure if that is still valid. It's a B-1
B-2 VISA dated Aug 1995.

Advice from the passport office has told him to ring the American Embassy, but
that is £1.50 (approx. $1) per minute!! Bugger that for a game of soldiers.

We've both looked at the US Embassy website, and Delta Airlines site, and they
mention something about the 'VISA Waiver Program' and form I-94W. They do,
however, seem to go out of their way to make it less clear than it should be.

Any and all help and advice appreciated.

TIA

Andy W