[thechat] Most spoken languages in the world

Joel Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Fri Jul 5 10:02:01 CDT 2002

> Additionally, Texas appears to be the only state where it's
> web site has a full Spanish version, which is something that
> CA, AZ and NM don't appear to have.

<http://www.state.tx.us/home.jsp?language=esp>

--Ben

I find that interesting. Obviously a large Spanish-speaking population,
then, but when I lived in Texas (seven years in Fairfield, half-way between
Dallas and Houston) I met one Spanish-speaking person during the whole time.
I almost forgot my Spanish. Actually, we both did. My wife had lived with
Spanish-speaking roomies for years before we got married, and spoke Spanish
fluently, but I didn't know that. I spoke it fluently 'cause my dad managed
two electronics assembly plants in Tijuana, and refused to be bothered with
switching back to English during the week, so we spoke Spanish in the
evenings if we wanted his attention.

So, then, we move to Texas, forget our Spanish 'cause we have no one to
speak it to, come back to San Diego, and finally discover that we'd *both*
forgotten it.

We usually communicate better than that. Honest.

joel