[thechat] Annoying friggin' PC problem. Help?

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Sat Jul 6 02:08:00 CDT 2002

I would seriously suspect your internal power supply.

I have a similar problem that I confirmed was PSU related - running a DVD
sometimes caused a reboot.  Swapping the PSU eliminated it.

My thinking is that since the power supply is switched by the motherboard
and is watching for off signals all the time sometimes for one reason or
another it sees a drop in signal and powers off.

(what was wrong with the off switch anyway?)

I haven't found the settings (probably in BIOS) that stop the motherboard
from controlling the PSU, maybe you can?

Maybe this'll help, maybe not, but with your recent "repair" to the PSU I'd
be seriously tempted to get it replaced.

(?25-?50 for  new PSU - I like the near silent ones from:
http://quietpc.com)

HTH

Tony