[thechat] punishment (was: [ugh])

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Tue Jul 9 17:30:01 CDT 2002

Thanks, Michele.  I believe I watched some Jane Nelson video lectures
when daughter was young.  She's a counselor with a bunch of kids of
her own, right?

Does she advocate time-outs?

time-outs usually end up being punitive, IMO, even though the
original intent is just a cooling-down time.  I've seen it used in
preschools much like "go sit in the corner" was used in my day.
Somewhat degrading, but IMO better than spanking.

Each child is different, too.  Something that would seem to wash over
my little brother would crush me; I was so sensitive to disapproval.