[thechat] [ugh]

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski jswiders at cs.oberlin.edu
Wed Jul 10 12:21:08 CDT 2002

Today, the cows mooved aardvark to write:

> > From: Quackamoe <quackamoe at yahoo.com>
> >
> > eh? I was involved in BSA for about 10 years while
> > my son was a scout and never noticed any hint of
> > government sponsorship. What are you alluding to
> > here?
>
> grants, access to resources, etc...
>
> when i was in it, we got plenty of support from the local
> government...

I never made it past cub scouts, but we had one of the most overlooked means of
support: space.  "Den" meetings (heh.  get it? "Cub" scouts. Organized in
"Dens". cute, huh?  thought so.) were in people's houses, but the main big-group
meetings were held in the gym at the local school.  When the Supreme Court
decision came back last spring (or was it two years ago? time flies . . .),
there was talk of charging the scouting organizations for the time, but I don't
know how far it got. . .

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski       jswiders at cs.oberlin.edu
cs.oberlin.edu/~jswiders \\ members.evolt.org/jswiders

Anatidaephobia: The fear that somehow, somewhere,
                          a duck is watching you.