[thechat] Location, location, relocation

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Thu Jul 11 13:23:01 CDT 2002

Seb wrote:
> I'm in the process of phoning embassies and whatnot with the express intent
> of discovering any limitations to my ability to settle and work in the
> states, and I'm resigned to the fact that at first I might have to put up
> with only being able to visit for 90 days. Are there any British ex-pats on
> the other side of the pond that have experience with the brutality and
> bureaucracy of the INS who have lived to tell the tale?
>
> I'm open to any advice you might have (though I should point out that "stay
> in England" is likely to fall on deaf ears).

I'm not an expat.  For that matter I really haven't ever been anywhere.
  But I play soccer here, so I know a bunch of people from outside the
US.  I'm assuming that you're not applying for asylum and that you want
to get permanant residency.

The biggest things I've seen suggested for getting into the US and
staying here are:

1) Get an employer to sponser you.  Preferably not an H1-B visa, because
that is indentured servitude.  The employer can deport you when ever
they want and there isn't a way to get another job.

2) Come as a student.  That limits your abilty to work, but does allow
you to scope out employers and get your visa status changed from student
to work when you get a job although you might have to leave the country
for a bit when the visa status change happens.

3) Move to Canada.  I understand that its quite easy to move from
Britain to Canada.  Once you are in Canada you're basically an American
as far as we are concerned.  This country just doesn't pay much
attention to Canadians.

Anyway, it sounds like you are doing all the right things and asking the
right questions so hopefully it should be too difficult.  When you come
over you should swing by Oregon.  We'll throw a beervolt in your honor.

Judah