[thechat] Location, location, relocation

javier velasco lists at mantruc.com
Thu Jul 11 14:34:00 CDT 2002

Well, I'm in a quite similar situation, although I was holding back from asking
for advice to my evoltian friends, since i'm still a long way before getting
anywhere (we're talking about a full year ahead). but since the thread is up,
it's better to keep it...

My wife is applying for a scholarship, to do a PhD in the US (approx 4 years),
obviously i want to go with her, and not waste my time. I wrote the local US
embaasy, and they told me that if she gets the scolarship, she gets a J-1 visa,
and I'd get a J-2 visa, and with that i can ask the inmmigration service for
authorization for work. It sounds suspiciously easy to me...

I'm thinking of reaserching local job markets as soon as we have a definitive
destination. I assume my best chance would be to have a contract upfront, but how
possible is that? (unless i worked for a US company subsidiary, which is not the
case).

I'd love to study, but i don't think it's realisitcal to think we'd both be able
to study in the same period of time, the same campus, and different subjects
(ecology / communications). Also, once you're used to the flavor of getting your
monthly cheque for your work, it's hard to give it back and become a student.
Best thing would be to do both things, works and study.

what do you think???