[thechat] Possessive or not?

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Thu Jul 18 12:41:00 CDT 2002

At 10:51 PM 7/18/2002, John Handelaar wrote:
>[1] The Two Madhus!  It's either a comedy act, or
>they recorded 'Knights in White Satin' :-)

That reminds me. I'm bugged whenever someone uses the possessive form where
they actually mean plural. So they use "CD's" instead of "CDs", "PC's"
instead of "PCs", "CPU's" instead of "CPUs".

Heck, no less a site than Digital Web recommends the wrong approach on its
"write for us" page (they call it "contribute works", but I like things
simple). Search for "Use of an apostrophe-s" on this page:
http://www.digital-web.com/contribute.shtml

I'm done ranting, I think. Don't get me started on journalist clichés now. ;)

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant