[thechat] Possessive or not?

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski jswiders at cs.oberlin.edu
Thu Jul 18 13:26:01 CDT 2002

> In a Software Version Description we currently have the following:
>
>    Appendix A describes the loadable/archive CD label information.
>
> Our SQA person (her name is Madhu, btw) wants it to read:
>
>    Appendix A describes the loadable/archive CD's label information.
>
> I can see where she's coming from but I don't think she's right.

How about 'Appendix A describes the label information of the
loadable/archive CD' versus 'Appendix A describes the loadable/archive
information of the CD'?  This removes ambiguity regarding the relationship
of 'loadable/archive' relative to the CD -- is the label info
loadable/archive, or is the CD?

Hoping to make things clearer, probably not.

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski       jswiders at cs.oberlin.edu
cs.oberlin.edu/~jswiders \\ members.evolt.org/jswiders

I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make
as they fly by.                       -- Douglas Adams