Thank you so very much (was RE: [thechat] Quick: list every hot b everage you can think of)

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Thu Jul 18 21:16:02 CDT 2002

---- Original Message ----
From: "Martin Burns" <martin at easyweb.co.uk>
To: <thechat at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2002 12:10 AM
Subject: Re: Thank you so very much (was RE: [thechat] Quick: list
every hot b everage you can think of)

> On Thursday, July 18, 2002, at 11:56  pm, Joel Canfield wrote:
>
> > Getting a monster server; naming convention is hot beverages and
> > someone wanted a really good name for it and I'm just plain out of
> > ideas.
>
> heh.
>
> I'm using Hebridean islands for my home network.
> [snip]

I very geekily use Federation starship names from Star Trek as my naming
convention - most recent addition, grissom, a PII266 compaq shitbox to use
as a work server.

> Mind you, I hear the Univ of Edinburgh had that naming convention, and
> whenever there was a new server (and in an establishment *that* big,
> that's a lot), there was a competition to find a new bit of rock, plus
> its Lat/Long data.

the dept of compsci at Glasgow Uni used island names, but didn't restrict
themselves to Scottish islands.  The Computing Service used train stations
around Glasgow, which was interesting ;)

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________  "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \  for Sega." -- Brodie, 'Mallrats'