[thechat] On July 20th, 1969, humans first set foot on the Mo on.

Joel Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Sat Jul 20 15:21:01 CDT 2002

> http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap020720.html
>
> anybody else old enough to remember?

Lying on the living room floor in LA (we lived there exactly 18 months, in
*three* different houses) It was one of the rare incidents in my childhood
when I was allowed to stay up past 9:00.

I was aware, even at 8 years old, that it was an historic event.

> i was in vienna at the time, two years out of high school,
> travelling around on a eurailpass, watching along with dozens
> in the lobby of the small hotel/hostel...  surreal...

My older brother fell asleep and wouldn't wake up no matter how we shook
him.

Y'know, the thing that amazes me is not that man went to the moon, but that
we *watched it on television.*

> this event ranks right up there in my memory along with
>
>   -- september 11 2001

No doubt.

>   -- january 16 1991

Funny; for the first time in my life, I put a television near where I was
working so I could follow the stories. But when I saw the date, I had no
clue what it was. Strange how much less significant it seems to me now, but
interesting how it may or may not be a precursor to so much more.

>   -- january 28 1986

I was still home that morning, watching with my wife. We were both standing
(I get excited watching rocket launches for some reason) and I seem to
remember us both almost falling back onto the couch in shock. Ranks far
above the Gulf War in my mind.

>   -- september 18 1970

No interest, no concern. Somewhat more self-induced than the others.

>   -- november 22 1963

One month before my fourth birthday, and I remember it as clear today as I
ever have. I had no idea what was going on, just that, for the first time in
my life, *everyone* was upset.

>   -- october 4 1957

Missed that one. My mom was still in high school.

joel