[thechat] Sony Loses Walkman Trademark Rights in Austria

Bob Davis bobd at members.evolt.org
Mon Jul 22 07:56:01 CDT 2002

At 2:00 PM +0530 7/22/02, Madhu Menon wrote:
>http://www.worldmusicsystems.com/news/newsdetails.asp?id=903&sid=11

>Austrias highest court said that the name has already become a common
>German noun that refers to all portable cassette players, including those
>manufactured by companies other than Sony.

Wow. German is an incredibly flexible language - almost as flexible
as English. There are so many examples of this in US english (at the
very least - I'm sure other flavors of english have the same
phenomenon!).

Sony really dropped the ball with the Duden dictionary though - they
should have fixed it. They bear the burden of protecting their
trademarks, right?

bob

--

bob davis