[thechat] On July 20th, 1969, humans first set foot on the Moon.

Janet Green JGreen at desmoinesmetro.com
Mon Jul 22 10:08:00 CDT 2002

July 20, 1969 - watching it on TV... incredulous, even though only 7 years old. Our newspaper ran a three-inch high, BLUE headline - MAN WALKS ON MOON... I remember thinking it must really be important to have a blue headline... I think we still have that newspaper.

September 11, 2001 - getting ready for work and thinking the first plane was a horrible accident, then watching with hubby and daughter as the 2nd one hit. Just a horrible, empty, terrified feeling for several days, coupled with admiration for everyone involved in the rescue, clean-up. Proud of my nation for coming together... proud of my President (despite using the phrase "these folks") for his measured and yet human/emotional response... absolute despair as the reality of the deaths sank in.

January 16, 1991 - watching the news with hubby, tears running down *his* face as Bernie and crew on CNN reported from under the table in their hotel... glad that we had moved so quickly after the "deadline" we'd given Hussein had expired.

January 28, 1986 - walking through the student lounge in the TV/film building at Iowa State, oblivious, then coming up short as I realized what everyone was staring so blankly at on the tv. Numb on this one.

September 18, 1970 - I was too young to appreciate Hendrix, but I vaguely recall news items about Cass Elliott and Jim Croce. I do remember December, 1980, (senior in high school) when John Lennon was killed. Stayed up watching Nightline for that one; my ex-boyfriend, who was having a hell of a time adjusting to his freshman year in college, called me in tears. I didn't know much about Lennon, but I knew he was important to Mark... and I knew he'd just released a new album, full of hope, a little mellow. Got out my copy of Shaved Fish (it was all I had, except for my "Watching the Wheels" single) and gave it a listen - and became a fan.

November 22, 1963 - wayyy too young. But remember a news shot of Brady lying on the ground, bleeding, when Reagan was shot.

October, 1957 - not born yet.

Events I *do* remember: the day the first space shuttle landed (funny I don't remember the launch)... the Pope's visit to Iowa in 1979... the day Nixon resigned... the marriage of Diana and Charles, then the death of Diana... and locally, July 10, 1993, the day the levee broke and my house filled with river water, and we had about 15 minutes to grab stuff and get out, and my miniature dachsund Peanut almost got swept away by the current just trying to get from the porch steps to the car... (yelling to hubby, "grab that weiner dog!")

Events I've learned about, where what I've learned has left a major impression on me - the Cuban missile crisis... the rescue of the men at Bataan... the fall of Saigon...