[thechat] Safest Investment (fwd)

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Mon Jul 22 14:46:01 CDT 2002

Hee hee.  Portland Oregon has some sort of secret underground spring
of Pabst Blue Ribbon (known to common folk by its TLA: PBR).

There are good microbreweries here, but they are all undercut by el
cheapo Pabst... I mean, a real beer might cost $3 a pint, and some
places will sell PBR for $1.  You do the math.

When broke, I swig Pabst.  When I can, I buy me a microbrew.

PBR is so popular here...  that it's actually seen by some as a "hip"
beer... which I don't quite get.. but it seems to play  along with
the slacker grunge thing the NW does so well... ripped-up jeans,
dirty white sneakers, stinky T-shirt, bummed cigarette and a cold
PBR... mmm.

My personal theory is that it was the movie "Blue Velvet" that
originally created the PBR hep mystique.

http://www.briansbelly.com/beerbelly/pabstblueribbon.shtml
This review of PBR categorizes it as "piss" variety beer, and
recommends that for maximum enjoyment, you keep these "3 C's" in mind:

1. PBR must be Cold -
"As it warms, PBR molecules tend to bond with ambient urine molecules
in the atmosphere, making it taste like Brooklyn Pilsner "

2. PBR must be in Cans -
"Aluminum is actually an important component of PBR's flavor.
Furthermore, it's imperative that you crush each can against your
forehead when it's finished."

3. PBR should be purchased by the Case  - "volume discounts"

btw the same site links to some cool old PBR commercials from the 1950's.
how retro!

Erika