[thechat] holy grail chant - translations?

Michele Wandrei michele at inthree.com
Wed Jul 24 23:09:00 CDT 2002

> ya know the monks in (Monty Python & the Quest for the) Holy
Grail, just
> before the witch bit, the ones who walk around hitting
themselves with
> books?  what are they singing?

Okay, you've intrigued me with this one.  After listening to the
sound clip repeatedly, it sounds like "Pee-ay Yay-su domine
(whack), dona  ay ees requiem (whack)."  So I pulled out some old
choir music and found Pie Jesu (Pie sounds like pee-ay).

So, I think it is "Pie Jesu domine, dona eis requiem."
Which translates to (according to the choir music): Blessed
Jesus, Lord, I pray, in your mercy grant them rest.

I really need a life, don't I?
Michele Wandrei
inThree Design
www.inthree.com