[thechat] Hollywood Movies and Families

Drew Shiel ashiel at sportsinteraction.com
Thu Jul 25 11:14:01 CDT 2002

At 00:34 19/07/2002 +0500, Syed Zeeshan Haider wrote:

>Hello Everybody,

   Hi Syed;

   I know I'm way late with this, but I had it marked to reply to, and I
have a few minutes now.

>The Concern:
>         The concern is kissing or some sexually erotic scenes. No
>matter, what the theme is, almost each movie can contain some kissing
>and sexually erotic scenes.
>
>Kids here are often attracted by movies but such scenes oblige their
>parents to keep their kids away from movies.

   At least here, movies are released with certificates saying what age a
government agency considers suitable for viewing. These range from PG
(Parental Guidance) to Cert. 15 and Cert. 18, which means that nobody under
those ages will be permitted into a cinema to view the movie.

>Q1.    What do you think about kissing and sexually erotic scenes
>(kissing means male-female kissing)?

   I don't notice it, to be honest, unless it's really notably out of place
or overdone - it's usually just part of the story.

>Q 2.    Do you feel any embarrassment in viewing such scenes with your
>family?

   No... I'd be kind of worried if I did, to be honest. Sort of implies
that there's something wrong with it? But I don't embarrass easily, I know.
(Kind of never got the point...)

>Q 3.    What is the general trend about such scenes in the families of
>your country?

   I don't know that there is a trend as such... it follows public
perceptions of morality, I suppose.

>Q 4.    Do you think that kids must not be allowed to watch such scenes?

   I'd suspect it's pretty much up to their parents, like anything else.
This fact seems to be neglected in many modern cultures, though.

>Q 5.    Are such scenes essential for each movie even though they are
>not directly related to the story or they are not as such needed in
>accordence to theme of the movie?

   It could be argued that way that all you need is one person on screen to
read out the script, with no actors, special effects, or the like. They may
not be *essential* - but they certainly make the film more enjoyable for
those watching it.

>Don't take question offensive or personal. They are just to learn about
>your country's culture and share a concern. Please mention your country
>before answering.

   I'm in Ireland.

   Drew.

Drew Shiel                               webmaster at swiftpay.com